View our Open Positions:
Community Reporter (Journalist)
Will be based in the Hyperlocal Media offices in Trevallyn. Work from home arrangements can be negotiated for the right candidate.
Local travel and attendance at local events, conferences, businesses and residences will be required.
This position will report directly to the Managing Director
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The purpose of the Community Reporter role is to find and report on local news in the Tamar Valley Region, with an emphasis on positive, local news and stories that engage our readers.
- An ability to utilise problem solving skills in a time sensitive environment
- Proven ability to use initiative
- Proven experience in analysis and strong research skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively
- Ability to use computing systems, including Microsoft Office suite of products
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven presenting and speaking skills, with the confidence to present on-camera and on live broadcast both on radio and live-streamed events.
- Maintain a safe workspace, and abide by workplace health and safety policies and procedures
- Source/discover local news stories and stories of interest to the local community
- Conduct interviews
- Write news articles
- On occasion, report on-camera or in a live broadcast either on camera or on radio.
- Photograph people & events
- Create news posts for social media and post to social media sites as required
- Other tasks as directed
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Drivers Licence
- Degree in media/Communications or associated field is desirable but not essential
- First Aid Certificate highly regarded but not essential
Experience in the media industry is desirable, but not essential.
- Strong writing skills, and ability to convey information in a clear, concise and conversational manner
- Familiarity with, and ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite of Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be well organised, able to manage time and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact professionally and build relationships and sources
- Strong research skills, including the ability to navigate online search engines
- Photography skills (desirable – training provided)
- Excellent attention to detail, including spelling and grammar
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Generate and write news stories in a timely manner, before deadlines
- Represent Hyperlocal Media professionally at all times
- Proofread articles before submitting to ensure they are free from spelling/grammar errors
- Assist in growing the reach and engagement of Hyperlocal Media’s publications
Send a copy of your Resume and Cover Letter addressing the selection criteria to email@example.com